We often think of the health of our teeth and gums as being unrelated to the rest of our bodies. But in fact, good dental health is intricately tied to keeping our whole body healthy. It’s been proven, for example, that gum disease has been linked to heart disease. So, in order to stay on top of your dental and physical health, our staff at Hicks Dental Group would like to make a few general suggestions to achieve good overall health in Prescott.
Follow these simple suggestions, and you’ll go a long way toward better health all around:
1) Brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily to remove buildup and plaque around your teeth.
2) Reduce sugary and acidic foods and drinks from your diet to help keep your enamel strong. Your teeth and your body will thank you!
3) Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to keep your heart healthy and your whole system and muscles toned.
4) Visit the dentist at least twice a year for dental cleanings. And if you’re older than 65, it’s recommended that you schedule an additional 1 or 2 cleanings per year. Dental cleanings help to eliminate bacteria (which becomes plaque and tartar) that can get into your gums. Those bacteria are the culprits that can cause heart disease if they’re not taken care of through good dental hygiene and regular cleanings.
5) Enjoy alcohol in moderation, since it’s loaded with sugar and acid. And if you smoke, take steps toward quitting that habit. Smoking stains teeth, and it can lead to oral or lung cancer, not to mention holding you back from enjoying physical activities like hiking or biking.
6) Eat a well-balanced diet. Most adults don’t get enough daily nutrients. By eating whole grains and plenty of fruits and vegetables, you’ll feel better. And these foods are also better for your teeth than sugary, processed foods.
By taking care of your teeth and gums, you’re taking care of your whole body. By taking care of your body and giving it the good fuel it needs (proper nutrients), you’re taking care of your teeth and gums. If it’s time for you to schedule a dental cleaning and you live in the region of Prescott, AZ, feel free to contact us. We also specialize in restorative dentistry, and we can help you with teeth whitening, either done at our office, or with a custom at-home whitening treatment. We believe all of our patients can achieve good overall health in Prescott, and we would love to help!
Images used under creative commons license – commercial use (8/30/2018) syauqee mohamad (Flickr)